Thursday, December 2, 2010

Countdown to Christmas

When I was growing up, the first day of December meant getting out the advent calendar.  For as long as I can remember, we had the same calendar and every night for the next 24 days me and my brother took turns snapping an ornament onto the tree.  The last night, December 24th Santa was snapped to the top of the tree.  My brother and I would take turns each year putting up Santa and my mom was sure to write on the box it was stored in whose turn was next. 

My childhood advent calendar was homemade by my Aunt Lydia with other ladies from her church.  

The memories it brought me, I wanted it to bring to my boys so last year I pulled out the old one (its over 30 years old) and made a replica.  I made some minor changes, but not many and you will notice how dated it was by looking at the ornaments. 

I’m so thrilled pulling this out every year! 

DSC01897

DSC01898

Each ornament fits into a pocket and one by one they get put up.  I just wanted to snap them all on so the details could be viewed in the picture.  Excuse the wrinkles – I wasn’t going to iron it before taking a picture!

DSC01899

DSC01900

(the red round piece is suppose to be an apple, for some reason mine looks like a tomato!  Also, my white fish is missing his eye, which will get fixed soon!)

DSC01905

DSC01907

No comments:

Post a Comment