Monday, May 17, 2010

Spring Has Sprung

The warm weather has arrived!  Which also means, so have a lot of projects around the house.  Steve has replaced four more windows on the second level – only four more to go and then we will have replaced all sixteen windows upstairs.  And I’ve been working on…remember the eye sore in this picture:

The nice yellow walls, the piles of toys, the lopsided, unfinished curtain?!?  The dreaded “toy porch” is in the processed of being completely overhauled.  I have taken numerous bags of toys to the dump, made two trips to the consignment shop and several stops at the Salvation Army.  There is not one single toy left on that porch, the walls are now green (like the dining room), I’ve got the ball fringe to finish the curtains and the trim needs one more coat of white paint.  Oh, by the way – this paint ROCKS:

Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel, 1/2 Pt Gloss White

I have covered my trim in this paint – it goes on great and wipes off easily!  The only thing is it is oil based which makes clean up a challenge!  I’ve overcome that challenge by buying cheapo brushes that can just be thrown away after I’m done painting and I keep a wet rag close by for drips.  Another trick I learned – put your paintbrush in a zip lock freezer bag and stuff it in the freezer and it will not harder!  You can take it right out and start painting again like you just set the brush down 5 minutes ago.  Also, make sure the room is WELL ventilated and get the kiddos out if possible.

I’ve bought my new porch furniture and we picked it up from Sears yesterday.  All I need to do is find a rug, touch up the painting and buy some decos!  Hopefully by the weekend, we’ll be enjoying our new room.

No comments:

Post a Comment